Sunday, July 10, 2011

Stenciled Pillows

This is a project I did in April that I'm just getting around to posting. I wanted to make another pillow after my pillow making class this past January and I had also been meaning to use the stencils Rick bought for me over a year ago. I decided to kill two birds with one stone and make a stenciled pillow.

The stenciling part was really easy. After cutting the fabric to the desired pillow size and ironing it, I used painter's tape to hold the stencil in place in the center of my fabric:






Then I used stencil sponge brushes and fabric paint (purchased at JoAnn Fabrics) and gently blotted the paint onto the fabric. I used a hair dryer to dry the paint after each of the two coats:






After the paint was completely dry, I carefully pulled the stencil off of the fabric. Then it was time to start making the pillow. Well, first I had to relearn how to use my sewing machine and then I started making the pillow :) I'm not very handy with a sewing machine, but I'm slowly learning. Making the first pillow was really frustrating however, by the time I starting making the next one, it was a piece of cake! I am proud to say that both pillows have zippers on them :) When I get around to it, I'd like to make a couple more in different sizes with different fabric.

I think the pillows turned out really cute:


No comments:

Post a Comment